Friday, September 3, 2010

Public Service - Blood / Platelets

We had a really interesting conversation with the nurse this afternoon regarding blood, and in particular, platelets.  Obviously, I would ask that everyone consider giving blood as often as you can remember to do so, its just a good practice.  Until you see how it is used up close, you can't appreciate how much the hospitals, military and medical centers need it.  I know we do a blood drive at work, and I'm convinced we should do a couple of them a year.  Funny how becoming a "net taker" of blood gets you to inspire others to give blood.  But, at least consider it...  I can't imagine how much blood our troops need, let alone someone like me.

While we all know about the importance of blood, the interesting part of the conversation revolved around the platelets and the overwhelming need for those as a donation.  Its a slightly differing process taking 1.5 to 2.5 hours that extracts the platelets out of the blood and returns the blood to you.  Platelets are essential in the clotting process and someone in my condition needs them badly in case I get a cut or bruise.  If I need platelets, I will get a specific transfusion of platelets to fight external and internal bleeding.

Both of these donations can be done by the Red Cross.  If you donate platelets, they will provide you with a movie to watch.  And, you can always tell the Red Cross you are donating on behalf of < insert name > which can possibly help offset blood charges during someones hospital stay.

All of your support is appreciated and if you can spare the time, please give.

1 comment:

Jo G said...

steve, i know you are right. i have never donated blood, mostly because i'm a chicken of needles and the like-you would think with a medical family, i wouldn't be so averse, but your need for it is good enough reason to check into it. maybe i could help you or someone else!

sent you an email under separate cover-let me know if you get it so i know i have the right email address. something i thought was funny!

tell ace that i got mom and dad all setup on e-bill pay today!

hope things are going well or well enough!

exciteed that dawgs are undefeated as i write this! whoo hoo!