Tuesday, September 7, 2010

Down is Up, Up is Down

I thought I was pretty sure, and it was confirmed for my by a couple of the nurses, a hospital is not a place to count on getting any rest.

By 2:00 pm today, I will be through day 4 for the chemo.  It started Friday afternoon and there were no significant changes for 24 hours or so.  But, then it somewhat kicks in that the destruction of the blood cells are making me tired quite a bit, causing a few elevated temperatures and absolutely destroying my urge to eat.  As my parents and Lynn can attest, the visits have become more about watching me sleep at times.  If they wanted to have some fun they should bet on the time I will fall asleep.

By Sunday, there wasn't much I was interested in on TV, the computer, books, or anything.  The good news is that there has been no real issue with nausea.  The bad news is that I get minimal amount of sleep,  Our bodies love to play tricks on us and make sure that anything which needs tending to takes place between midnight - 3 AM, so there is no chance any decent rest takes place.

What has become a theme is not being able to concentrate on anything for very long.  I might fall asleep, I might change channels, etc...  so of course I missed the 2 best finishes of the college football this weekend.  I must be sick!

Got a couple pints of blood on Monday, so I am in the "post getting blood feel pretty good zone" this morning.  I know they were worried about my platelet counts, but they haven't seen them significantly drop off yet, which is good.  The transfusions are there to get my hemoglobin levels back up where the doctors don't have to worry.

I just read where the "math" makes it almost impossible for the Reds not to make the playoffs...  really?  Ask Detroit Tiger fans about 2009, I believe the same article was printed in Detroit and guess what, they didn't make it.  Ask San Diego, the math they are doing is 0-10 and lost their lead in 14 days. 

Anyway, the hospital is a very benign existence.  There is so  much time, but not really.  And you think you can get so much accomplished, but not really.  It just feels like everything in a hospital works against itself, most notably that this is where all the germs are, the place we get sent to get better...  Maybe more later, and I somehow have to make it for a fantasy football draft tonight (there is no chance I can hold my concentration for that long).

14 comments:

Betsy said...

Shoopers ! I can help with yor draft.. I will share my winning guidleines with you.... No chestnuts, only funny names and look for Calvin Borel... Oops.... those are my rules for picking derby winners... not football picks... You are on your own for that one! Sorry!

Unknown said...

Hey Shoop -

I just got your blog address & have been reading your story. I remember once you told me if you went back to school you'd like to do writing/journalism. I'm getting a good glimpse at how great of a writer you are.

I love the story about looking for coffee at 5:30am, I drew a fun picture in my head. How Shoop!

Keep your head high! I'm praying for you!!

Kim

Brandon said...

I guess one high point is you are pasting point getter.

AD said...

Hey Shooper! (whisper: I think Betsy just likes the name CALVIN....but I digress.)
:)
I've spoken to a few of our closer customer contacts this week and they all wish you the best. You are in many prayers these days.

Just wanted to tell you that you're missed around here! Hurry Back!

Anonymous said...

I wish I would have met you in college babe.....you could have written my papers. You obviously have been blessed with words...Me, on the other hand...not so much but I have been blessed just by being your wife. I love you.

Anonymous said...

How anonymous is that? You really do have many admirers including "anonymous" older family members with your same last name!

Jo G said...

hi steve,

i think there is probably a fun game to be created with blog postings w/ the 'anonymous' posting signature. i'll have to noodle that one. i will try and channel the great merv griffin and his game show acumen (did i spell that right??)

just wanted to say hi and hope you are feeling good enough to help root the 'dawgs on against the gamecocks this weekend-i know you have some red you can wear. there is nothing better than seeing (the bad) steve spurrier throw his visor in disgust!! i hope it happens a lot on saturday!

love, jo

Anonymous said...

Hi, I am Lynn's teacher friend who is the huge OSU fan!!!! From Ohio and bleed scarlet and gray. Anyway, please know you are in my prayers!!!! Enjoy the game this Sat. and also let's hope you can enjoy MI getting beat by ND?????
Go Bucks!!!!!!!

Barb Ray

Anonymous said...

Hi, I am Lynn's teacher friend who is from Ohio and bleeds scarlet and gray.
My thoughts and prayers are with you.
Enjoy the big game on Sat. and also I hope you can enjoy watching MI get beat by ND.

Barb Ray

Betsy said...

Hey Shoop,

I haven't seen a post for you in a few days.. I hope things are going well and you are hanging tough.... I am sending you good vibes... Hang in there Shoopers!
Betsy

Unknown said...

It was reported that Jim Tressel said he would only be dressing 40 players for the miami game on Saturday.....

The rest of the players will have to dress themselves Steve.

Jo G said...

Wow, I'm impressed that Beth knows who Jim Tressel is! But could she pick him out of a sweater vest line up? This is the real question!

doudy said...

Shooper,hope your doing as well as you can.I think the book idea has legs.In fact, I believe it's the most I've heard from you since you hung the slider to Charley at BD Memorial. Although those remarks were directed to your Taylor Rental shirt, your skills to express were on tremendous...Bob(where is the most exotic...)Ewbanks,while no DC,has to be on any game-show list...Keep fighting and writing...

Unknown said...

Blasphemy I say....


BLASPHEMY!!!