For those interested, the final diagnosis is Undifferentiated AML, here's a link to some of the info.
http://www.clevelandclinicmeded.com/medicalpubs/diseasemanagement/hematology-oncology/acute-myelogenous-leukemia/
Treatment was to begin today, however, on Monday night I began to run a fever and headed to the ER. I was admitted and figured that no matter what, I was in for the long haul. Good assumption.
The first order of business is to get rid of the infection. Cultures will be back tonight to determine if I need more time before I am up to starting the chemo. No word yet, but if its OK, I will start chemo on Thursday/Friday AM. Believe it or not, I want this to start (I think I am getting on a couple nerves).
Once all of the consultations were completed (and all agreed), I was asked to participate in using an experimental drug in addition to the standard chemo drugs. This would be part of a clinical trial and I may or may not end up getting the actual drug. In clinical trials, 50% of the patients get a placebo and the other 50% get the actual drug (midostaurin). The trial last for 18 months and is an "add on" in pill form. I have full opportunity to stop at any time should I not want to participate, but my thought process is that I'd like every opportunity to A) gain the potential benefits and B) thought that if others will benefit, why not? The side effects listed appear to be very similar to chemo, so I don't feel as if there is a whole lot of risk (but there always is some).
The best part (sarcasm alert) of participating is that they needed another bone marrow biopsy, and that took place this morning. If you are keeping score, that's three of them in three weeks. This mornings biopsy went well, and if I had to rank, it was the best so far. I think the nurse who did mine at UofM last week took the whole Ohio State fan thing a bit personally, as it hurt the most. Maybe I'm just getting use to getting needles shoved everywhere.
Back to Tuesday... I think my Dr. noticed that I can be a bit high strung or irritated at times. We hadn't had the best experience with the ER the night before and I let them know how we felt. As well, I think I may have been irritated by the horrendous cable channel lineup and/or the poor TV and started to let people know it in an unspoken way. These things can be communicated non-verbally, I'm told. I was offered a tranquilizer to calm my nerves. I declined because I thought my nerves were fine (and mostly irritated that someone thought they weren't) For the balance of the afternoon I read about the clinical trial and pretended to not be irritated.
Later in the evening, watching the Reds game, the overnight nurse and I were discussing what I might want/need and I think she was asked to reiterate that I had some Xanax left for me if I wanted it. I found it fairly humorous at that point and declined. The Reds game was fantastic, because I can watch on my computer, but anything on the TV really was unwatchable. This thing is circa 1990's.
I got essentially little sleep, but when I did, I apparently snored decently as the nurse mentioned it in the morning. But, I was up by 5:30 and walking the halls looking for coffee. No one on the night shift drinks coffee! Annoyed again, I must have made an impression, because someone purchased a cup of Seattle's Best for me and delivered it to me around 6 ish. We are purchasing a coffee maker. Around 7:30 the Dr. arrives with a couple other of the fellows and a nurse or 2. Nothing like a crowd. We're chatting and its that awkward "get to know you stuff," which most of you know is right up my alley. I'm fine with the Dr. and like him a ton, but all the others are just kinda "there." If I could have excused myself, I would have, but where the hell was I going to go, I had a marrow biopsy coming up in a few minutes. So, I look up and say, "you guys are making me nervous, is there something I need to know?" The answer was no, we were all just waiting for the biopsy cart. The Dr. had everyone leave.
Side note for Blaki (my uncle Jim the surgeon)... I think you'd like this guy. He was filling out some paperwork as we continued to wait and was over by the window. From the angle I was looking, he had the white coat, and facing away from me, I swore it was you. I'm not saying the bald top of his head had anything to do with it, but it reminded me of you getting home when we were in Georgia and us getting ready for an evening of food, a cigar and a couple scotch's (of course it wasn't an "on call" night).
The biopsy gets completed and we talked for a few minutes. Within 10 minutes of him leaving, the nurse arrives and has me take the Xanax ordered by the Dr. He must have been convinced that the Xanex was needed and I was going to take it...
I pretty much had this entry completed and within a 1/2 an hour, I couldn't type anymore, so I slept for about 4 straight.
Maybe I am a bit high strung.
Last, how about them Reds, 7 games up and the Cuban Missile has arrived. Look out Braves fans...
The Cuban Missile
11 comments:
Never say no to Xnax. It's a life saver.
Steve - checking in from Hotlanta again. Despite your attack on the oldest state-chartered university in the United States, Jim agreed we should still love you and keep the prayers going.
Remember we're all thinking about you and praying for you every single day! We read your blogs religiously now, keep them coming as best you can.
The Huskies are coming to Ann Arbor Saturday.....there upset-makers, watch out or grumpy medical staff Saturday night!
Stay strong Steve!
Shea
Oh my gosh Shoop, I agree w/ Melissa. Never say no to xnax and could you get me a few. LOL. You and Lynn have been in my thoughts and prayers!
Brenda - The next best person that new people would dislike upon meeting. The first????
XOXO
P.S. You are a beautiful writer:)
Good update Steve. I hope they are re-running Johnny Carson for you on that 90's TV. and what kind of coffee will you be getting for the coffee maker?
Beth, have to support my old hometown, Seattle's Best. (Not a Starbucks fan)
The big X got me through the day today...
Dear Brenda, its not often you meet someone with a similar ability to repel people at first asking. Take it as a gift, like I have, and know that if those people attempt twice, they are probably the ones worth knowing. SS
Hi steve, thanks for the update. Thinking about what's going on with you a lot!
I am picturing you wandering the halls for coffee with the gown on or have you gone a different way with the hospital fashion??
Hope things get rolling for you today! At least
you'll soon have some football to keep you entertained this weekend! Need me to send you an Ohio State Snuggie to get the season going??
I was stranded at DFW last night. Someone told me that it's bigger than the island of manhattan! I believe it after driving around all evening.
Look forward to your next post!
Streak---
You are giving fresh meaning to the term "manning up" even by Navy standards. Believe me I dreaded doing bone marrows almost as much as the patients did.
I was about to give you 2 gold stars until I got to the part about the ER and the Xanax--- got to go with the flow-- the drs and nurses really do know what they are doing---not their first ballgame you know. Take everything offered, it'll help. I have recently re-discovered this now that I'm on the patient side of things. You still get a gold star.
I'm looking forward to us drinking JWB, eating possum and smoking long cigars soon again.In the meantime we will enjoy the best fall season for MLB and football in a while.
I really didn't quite understand the first blog that was posted so I decided to try my luck on reading the second updated post, "the Cuban missel." I didn't ever reallly realize how good of a writer u actually were untill I took te time to read ur e-mail and your blog. I couldn't saftly say that I'm even close to the standards of writing as you but I will try to lay my thoughts on the table.
Going back to the comment wen u were talking about the nerse at the UofM hospital, and how u thought that the biopsy that u were getting might have been slightly different based on the fact that u had put down the Michigan football team. All I kept thinking was how much pain would u have been in if Jimmy AKA my brother was on the other end of tht needle instead of the nurse at UofM. I keep thinking about the times wen both u and him would play practical jokes on each other. U changing the light cover in his room and he hanging brutus by the neck in willow tree. Wen I come visit you I'll bring u some food to die for ( taco bell)
- love Michael
- love michael
Shooper, Laura Conway here. You and I have something in common here, we are both patients this week. I am mad at you right now, because you are making my stomach hurt from laughing so hard at your post!!! Also in common we are both refusing meds....my stomach was so sore I wouldn't let the 4000 nurses and residents even lay a stethoscope on it but I still refused pain medicine. This being very odd to the medical community (which I am also a member) because most people come into the hospital SEEKING meds. See, I know what they (the Dr and nurses) are thinking so i have NO PROBLEM being a complete shall we say irritated person. I wanted to use a different word that begins w/ B but Mike said this was public and I should watch my language! I know you have a very hard time picturing me being anything but sweet and agreeable, but I assure you that on occasion, people think I am irritated when actually i'm not! Being in the hospital is very difficult for people who are control freaks. I definately am not and I know you pretty well and you aren't either. We are just misunderstood (and thats sooo irritating). I'm laughing, my stomach hurts. See ya Luv ya, L
I have read this over and over and just laughed my butt off! This is SO you! I can't imagine why they would offer you Xanex...although if I could get some to keep at work and slip into your coffee sometimes... :) KIDDING.
Everyone I have spoken with who reads your blog is amazed at your writing skills. The same question keeps coming up...why doesn't Shoop talk like that? hahah I'm going to try to read every 4th word and see if it sounds more like you!
You're in my thoughts Shoop. Good luck this week and go get 'em.
Please give Lynn my best.
Post a Comment