Monday, April 11, 2011

Time Gets Away When...........

Wow, I guess I pushed this update thing a little far out, but what better time than my 4 month anniversary from checking into the hospital.  Of course, that would include the 2 trips home that became learning experiences on how to really feel when you think you are ready.

Since Lynn assisted with the last update (thanks babe!), I wanted to make sure I took that burden off of her shoulders as well.  Clearly, we’ve had plenty of ups and downs with how I’ve been feeling and being able to handle some of the aspects of the post BMT.  The major issue has continued to be my intestinal area and how it is reacting to the drugs and food I’ve been allowed to include in my diet.  We have gone back and forth from just a water/liquid diet to one that includes some turkey slices.  

With little progress, the Dr.’s have decided we will back everything down and try and isolate the source of the problem that continues to haunt my midsection.  I have had a lot of good days recently and been able to catch up on a little bit.  But, it’s been really hard not being able to be at home with the family.  The safety of the hospital setting certainly set in, but we do want to make sure that the next time I go home, its permanent!

Over the last 6 weeks they have confirmed that I have changed blood type to AB Negative and I’ve had all kinds of procedures including chest x-rays for pneumonia, Doppler scans of legs/arms (for clots), CT scans, and EKG scans.  We do know I have ulcers below the stomach that are causing a lot of the pain and trying to get those healed is at the top of the list.  The GVHD has not been the major problem in recent weeks, and getting to the bottom of what is even has the staff taking it slow.

I hate that my blog silence had put some worries out there on me, but once I returned to the hospital for the 3rd time, my body and mind had been beaten down pretty good.  This is a crazy disease, and on 2-3 separate occasions my weight has fluctuated 20+ lbs and my strength has literally left me feeling helpless in bed.  On top of treating the primary side effects, items like weight and strength have to be dealt with as well.  We have had the physical therapy team in and they have given my personal trainer (Lynn) plenty of drill sergeant material.  Actually, she has kept me to task and we are seeing a lot of progress with my strength.

The goal hasn’t changed on our end or even the Dr’s; it is to get me out of here but only when they and we feel I’m at a very low risk of returning to the hospital.  And so everyone knows, I am getting all of the cards and emails and it is still overwhelming.  THANK YOU!

And, thanks to April bringing baseball back.

12 comments:

Unknown said...

Glad to hear you're feeling better.

Your Reds seem to be off to a good start - now if we could get the Tigers to stop throwing the ball around like little leaguers...

I've got a rally cap on for you...

Melissa said...

Thanks for the update. It will take me a little time to get a good joke or something whitty. Love ya guys.

Lynn said...

I love you Shoop! You are getting stronger every day. Keep up the hard work. You'll be home before you know it:)

Love,

L

AD said...

SO SO SO Glad to finally read a post from you Shoop. You are in my thoughts daily - we miss you around here terribly!

Stay strong and know we are all pulling for you.

MB said...

Hey Shoop,
Always thinking of you, sending best wishes your way. You are a trooper through all of it, and keeping everyone informed/entertained. Hope you can enjoy some baseball. You'd be proud - taking my 5-year-old to the fields this afternoon.

Love to you and your family,
MB

Unknown said...

Steve did you say your blood type changed? I didn't even know that was possible....what was it before and what does it mean?

Anonymous said...

Glad to hear from you Shoop... It was a long scary dry spell... Thinking of you every day!

Betsy

Melissa said...

What did the great big elephant say to the naked man? ~ No wonder you're so small, if that's all you've got to eat with! ~

Jo G said...

steve, glad to see another post from you and hope your progress (even if slow) is moving along. Hugh and I are just back from a trip to Europe and we were thinking of you while we were there...lighting candles in churches and asking for intercession for your recovery. Even while we were in the Alps...I figured we were closer to heaven and the prayers would get fast tracked ;).

Melissa said...

Happy Easter to you both. Sending you lots of love, happy wishes and bunny kisses. LOL. Hope you are feeling better Steve. Love you lots.

Melissa said...

Q. What do you call a rabbit with fleas?
A. Bugs Bunny
Q. What does the Easter Rabbit get for making a basket?
A. Two points just like everybody! 

Q. Why did the Easter Bunny hide the egg?
A. Because it was a little chicken. 

Q. What do you call a dumb bunny?
A. A hare brain. 

Q. What's the best way to catch a unique rabbit?
A. You 'nique up on him. 


EAdams said...

Happy Easter to you all Shoop! Glad to hear you're feeling a bit better. We're thinking and praying for you. And welcome to "team AB negative" - if you need a pint, give me a shout.

E