Monday, March 14, 2011

latest update... from LYNN

Hi All,
This is Lynn writing for Shoop today.  Over the past couple of weeks we have had quite the adventure.  Shoop's health was steadily increasing to where he could go home.  Shoop came home for the week-end starting Friday, March 4th feeling good and had a nice week-end but noticed his strength steadily declining. 

We had our standard clinic visit on Monday in which we sensed possibly something else going on.  One of the symptoms is that his strength seemingly melted away.  Now he needs physical therapy to do more basic tasks (even typing for 20 mins takes up to much energy)

The doctors did not want to release him and we felt the same, as sad as it is.  Now we are managing the same type of symptoms that we did way back in January.  Again, identifying what is going on has been the biggest obstacle.  Once this is done, the doctors are confident that we can have an effective treatment plan.  However first we have to determine whether it is GVHD again or other viruses such as CMV.  He is currently back on the NPO diet and have been for a week.  His weight is fluctuating significantly and that is the first thing the doctors need to get under control. 

Discharge doesn't look imminent at this time although he knows this is the right place to be.  If nothing else, we will try to keep short updates once a week.  It's very frustrating not being home but we are so appreciate of all of the wonderful meals and never ending support.

20 comments:

Anonymous said...

Lynn and Shoop,
Your both in our thoughts and prayers. Keep up the good fight. God Speed.
Penny

Melissa said...

Love you both. Thanks for the update. Call me for anything at anytime.... Pinky promise.

Jason Weiner said...

Thanks for the update...stay strong and take it one day at a time.

eyecheck said...

Thank you Lynn. Let us know what we can do.
Shoop, if you're reading this, keep the mojo positive. I'm here if you need me.

Anonymous said...

Shooper,
We were bummed to hear that you were not able to stay home once you got there. Hang in there. Seems like they are doing the right thing for you and have your best treatment in mind. Keep on being strong and fighting the good fight. We are all praying for you!
betsy

Elizabeth said...

Thanks for the update Lynn.

We're all rooting for Steve and the entire family.

Love,
Elizabeth

Anonymous said...

Shoop & Lynn -
Thinking of you and wishing there was something I could do. Stay strong and know we are all rooting for you and can't wait for you to be able to come back to work!
Susan

Jo G said...

I heard a good joke today that maybe will give you a laugh and make Melissa proud: "two Irish guys walk out of a bar..."

Received the orange support package today! "Wonder twin powers, activate! Form of ..... a healing wave for Steve!". (Those in the 40 yr old range that were cartoon-watchers will get the reference.)

Melissa said...

That was a good one Jo. LOL. I work with young ones and when I revert back to my childhood shows they look at me like I have three heads. Wonder Woman here. Here's a joke my 10 year old told me.

How much coke did Charlie Sheen take in January? A: Enough to kill Two and a Half Men.

source: http://www.jokes4us.com/celebrityjokes/charliesheenjokes.html

Terri Bagnulo said...

Thanks for the update, Lynn. I've been reading these incredible postings and following both the ups and downs in your progress, Steve. You've been in my prayers from the beginning and as I read and see your great head (even bald) and your great heart, I am reminded of what I told you years ago: You are better than good.

Love,
Terri

Melissa said...

OK updated needed. Having shoop withdrawls.

Jason Weiner said...

Ditto. We check every day. We really are thinking of you and you are always in our prayers.

Anonymous said...

Have to agree.. . How are you shoopers?

Anonymous said...

Have to agree.. . How are you shoopers?

Steph & Tyler said...

Hi Lynn and Shoop! Anxious to hear how the last few weeks have gone. Seems like you are where you need to be to stay on top of this. I know it is frustrating waiting and not knowing what you are dealing with.

Can't help but smile and think of you as Tyler sits yelling at the TV with the crazy basketball games that have been taking place. Makes for good entertainment at least. Final Four is interesting!

Stay strong! We are sending all positive thoughts and love your way. Hugs from TX!
Steph & Tyler

Anonymous said...

Hey Shoopers- I hope you had a better than expected Birthday. Sorry I am a bit late with my well wishes but I have been home sick too. Ugh. Hang in there and I hope you were able to nibble some good food for your big day!
Betsy

Anonymous said...

Thinking of you always and praying for you daily -
P.Priehs

Anonymous said...

Hey Shoopers, HOpe your birthday was a bright spot in your week. Maybe you even got a little nibble of some cake? Thinking of you! Stay strong!
Betsy
Hey, What is up with the Content Moderation?

Anonymous said...

Shoop and Lynn,

I just spoke with Matt Howland as he had received an email from your dad. I also tried to call your mom and dad in Cincy this week, as perhaps they are in Michigan.

It sounds as if you are fighting hard as your dad indicated you are using all your energy to focus on your recovery. Just wanted to let you know that Laura and I and the kids are keeping you in our thoughts and prayers every day, and that I am looking foward to the day in the near future when your strength returns and we can chat.

Cons

Anonymous said...

Happy Easter Shoop and Lynn. Hope you can try to eat something festive... (No Peeps for you... but perhaps some ham?) Thinking of you guys today!

Betsy