Tuesday, September 21, 2010

I Didn't Realize I Had Not Updated

Actually, I intended to a couple of times, most notably last Friday when I was supposed to come home, but then could not due to a small fever.  Then, it was to be Saturday, but I had to have an EKG on Sunday per the timing of the chemo and follow up tests.

While being sent home sounds a bit much at this point, if I stay clean (wash hands, same with others) and stay reasonable, I'm at no more risk than I would be at the hospital where all the germs hang out.  Still, any fever over 100.5 will have me right back in the hospital.

Ten minutes after getting platelets Sunday morning, of course I had a reaction and had to be treated with IV Benedryl, and morphine.  That resulted in another EKG and waiting a lot longer to leave.  All was pulled under control. but you have to start wondering about being snake bitten.  Ultimately, the reason they are able to send me home is that the white blood cells are starting to grow and get detected.  The doctors say I have been ahead of the curve in this respect, but have had a couple other side effects they wouldn't have expected.  I know...  keep 'em on their toes!

This is day 10 post chemo, and I've still had no nausea, but with some of the other side effects, it can get challenging at times.  The mouth sores resulted in me not talking for several days, but feeling better about getting the vocab out there again and having a real meal.

It is very hard to explain to anyone how you feel when you are "blaaaaahhh."  It's tired, its headaches, its stress, its unable to get comfortable in any position, no food sounds good, its sleeping anywhere from 25 - 90 minutes at a time, and then you hope to get back to sleep sometime.  And it doesn't matter when...  And its not wanting to talk to anyone.  Sometimes the silence of no TV and just laying still is what you can deal with.  I think it goes in cycles and I'm coming back out of one.

That's why I'm writing this at midnight!  Got back from a routine blood check (which I will have to do every day while I am home) which ended up lasting 9 hours today, because I needed more platelets.  I guess the ones from Sunday didn't take, seriously.  But, I feel as good as I have in days, and wanted to get this out there while I could.  I do have another bone marrow biopsy for Thursday...  this will be pretty critical for those little white blood cell bastards.

Maybe some brevity writing tomorrow, and certainly an update on the world of my sports.

Last, I need this hair to be gone, I'm losing it, but its like the follicle gods want me to have this drag out as well...

11 comments:

eyecheck said...

Hey Shoop. Gald to hear things are shaping up in your favor. Keep thinking positive Oscar, it will help. Who Dey!

Lynn said...

I miss you Babe. Keep making Lemonade. I love you
ME:)

Anonymous said...

Hey Shoop,
Glad to know you made it home. I need to comment on the hair thing. Rog keeps telling me hair is over-rated anyways, so just go with it. It gives him five more minutes each day of free time, no shampooing, no combing, or drying. BTW, he goes with a wool Lions Cap in the winter, any baseball cap in the summer - gets burned up there. Take care. Miss you.
Pen

Anonymous said...

Hey Steve, Sounds like you are on the upward mend. Hope the mouth sores start to disapate. My recommendation for a good show is 2 1/2 men, really good for laughs!
Thoughts and prayers continue!

Pam

Jason Weiner said...

Glad you got to go home....there is no place like home after the hospital. As far as appointments, they do take forever and just consider it your new job. It's a new normal and eventually you will be back to the old normal! Stay strong!

dbest101 said...

Appreciate the update.

Screw the follicle gods; can you just BIC that dome clean?

I'm sending out vibes for a positive result on the biopsy tomorrow. Keep hanging tough.

DB

Anonymous said...

Hey Shooper,

Howie made visit to Twin Cities. Great seeing our little friend! Last time we saw each other was at your wedding....agreed that we will make a trip soon....what a site that will be...3 bald guys and money says u will still look better than both of us! Battle back.

Cons

Unknown said...

Hey Buddy!!!
just wanted to let you know we all miss you out there on the softball fields...we need that bat of yours man! Just give me a little ring-a-ding when that appetite comes back, I'll personally deliver you a GOC famous antipasto salad...hang in there bud!

love your skipper,

-Kate (is great, she gives us chocolate cake!)

Anonymous said...

Hi Steve:

Kristin sent me this site so we could keep up with your progress and let you know we are thinking of you and missing you.

Sending positive thoughts and prayers your way.

Cindy Loewenberg and Southern Leather Company

Anonymous said...

Hi Shoop -

I think you have a good bald look going on, no Charlie Brown look - he he!

Keeping you in my prayers & think about you often. Happy you got to go home and I'm sure just being in your surroundings is a huge comfort.

Stay strong & God bless! Kim

Anonymous said...

I'm sorry I couldn't visit you while in the hospital but was exposed to Marty et all who were all sick when I was there last week. But it's good news that you will be home for Thanksgiving. I plan to go up north next Monday in preparation for Thanksgiving but will stop by this weekend with a couple of pies that can be baked on Thanksgiving. Let me know your favorites -- I thought pumpkin and cherry but if you would like something different just say the word. Glad you're home Shoop. See you this weekend.
Love,
Judy