Wednesday, September 15, 2010

The Daily Grind

I wish there were a lot more to report in terms of excitement, and I probably forget that Leukemia is enough excitement for anyone.  On the physical front, my mouth still hurts a lot, enough to make talking on the phone more than  a minute or 2 kind of a pain, plus saliva starts to build up and and I become intelligible.  I spoke with Lynn the other night before bed and she emailed me 5 minutes after the call and pretty much said she had no idea what I was saying.  I think I sound like a cross between Mushmouth (from Fat Albert) and a 6th grader who just got braces and has a lisp.

I can't thank everyone enough for all the cards, gifts, meals (for the family) and support .  It's very humbling.  If people don't know that I am from Ohio or don't know who the greatest player of all time is, they will when I get a chance to wear some of the new #44 stuff.  The staff at the hospital can't figure out why I have all this stuff from Ohio and want to know if I watched the Michigan game or am looking forward to the next one.  It is just too much to explain all the time.

I am now in day 5 post chemo and I think some of the beat down it gave me is starting to dissipate.  The body rash is starting to subside and I feel like there is more energy in slightly longer doses.  Still, concentrating on any one thing for more than a half hour or so is tough (save the ADD comments).  apparently, my nose is thinner as well, at least that is what Lynn is telling me, and I hope that is OK?   The doctor has said that I will start losing hair in the next few days and it will all go...  no big deal, but it brings up a huge question. what to wear?  My buddy Cons thinks my head is too round and has always said I will look like Charlie Brown if I shaved it, so I'm thinking that covering it up may be a good idea and will keep my ears warm.  So, what should it be? 

The thought was that I would need another transfusion today of blood and platelets, but I was just informed that while my levels are still extremely low, the latest results from this morning indicate that the platelets have leveled off, and they are detecting (previously undetectable) some uptick in white blood cells being regenerated (they are still at basically nothing compared to regular levels).  This is where we cross our fingers and hope those white blood cells are the good ones that are coming back.  We won't know until the next bone marrow biopsy in a couple weeks.  So, at least for today, some decent news.

Without reviewing every show on throughout the day, it is hard to beat Everybody Loves Raymond and King of Queens for consistent laughs.  Obviously there is a big audience for it, but I still don't think My Two Dads is worth a sh*t.  The game show network still is a staple, but anything involving Jerry Springer is off limits, how this guy continues to get an audience is beyond me.

I love the comments, keep 'em coming.

20 comments:

Anonymous said...

I think Mr. Clean will be a great look for you! I'll love you no matter what.

Unknown said...

Hair is very overrated.

Anonymous said...

You did mean #24, did you not? If not, wouldn't that make for a great Springer show?

Melissa said...

Call me if you want to John to shave you.

Anonymous said...

Shoop - you strike me as a knit cap or baseball cap kind of guy. Too bad my Mom isn't around - she would have loved to knit you a Buckeyes cap (we lived in Ohio before moving to Michigan during football season).

We miss you at work.

Susan

tsesti said...

bozo wig, definitely

doudy said...

Shooper,glad to see you keep making lemonade. As one who is quickly becoming follicly challenged, I also believe hair is overrated.However, in searching for my Snuggie, I found some Chia seeds. I'm told these things can grow anywhere.Would you like me to send you some?
I believe your old buddy Johnny Franco could help our Reds.
Your driver in App., Jim, sends his best wishes.
If you need anything don't hesitate to ask.

Elizabeth said...

Steve...I have a plethora of wig shops around my neighborhood in Chicago and I could pick you up something really special. How about something blond a la Shaggy from Scooby Doo. Or..maybe not. I'll for sure be on the lookout for something more your style.

Love to you and family.

Jason Weiner said...

Steve,
I wanted to drop a line to let you know we think and pray for you daily! You will get to the other side! One upside of the chemo and hair loss is that you will suddenly have a very youthful appearance. I remember thinking Jason had such a baby face after he lost all of his hair. No need for exfoliating, chemo does that. No need for blemish treatment, chemo does that! Your skin will become supple and smooth! That's one way of taking the good with the bad! Put on some Oakley's and you'll be one bad dude! Keep it up...you are doing great!
Jennifer

Jason Weiner said...

Take this opportunity to wear every goofy hat you ever wanted, but were afraid that somebody would make fun of you. Fedora check! Australian outback! Robin Hood, oh yeah! 10 gallon, top hat, biker bandana, bust them all out. Actually, nothing works better than the baseball hat. I liked the flexi fit kind that adjust to your head and are really soft. The bald bean gets cold very easily and needs love. The beauty of it is when your hair comes back, it is crazy thick. Unfortunately for me, it didn't last and I'm back to my mostly bald self. There is more on my back though which, of course, is an added bonus for pool season. Hang tough. We're thinking of you everyday!

Jason W.

J.M.Geeslin,M.D. said...

Steve---

About the hair thing---I found as my hair grayed--something I believe we have in common, the tennis moms in the bar at the club began to look right through me but when I went to the 1/8" cut they really began to pay more attention and were often heard to remark " ---boy,you've really gained weight". You won't have to worry about that remark because you will be more the Bruce Willis type. Maybe we could get Ace and Jr to join us. With their particular tonsures they don't have much to lose. Of course you will probably get black curly hair on the flip side of all this and have to decide with me and your friends whether or not hair is overrated.

Shoop said...

Great stuff... may do a hat of the week... I have a good starter at home.

Jo G said...

I feared that I didn't have too much to offer about hair and hats, but then, as I was running this morning, a bicyclist passed us wearing a conical, Asian style hat and I thought of you, of course! You can toss that in as a candidate for hat of the day. Hope you are having a good day!

MB said...

Shoop,
Gotta say, you're entertaining all of us well. You need someone writing for you, help the hours go by.

As for hats, I recall you having a pretty solid collection. Try 'em all out. You want some Mickey ears? Classic ball cap suits you best.

Sending you some Florida sunshine and smiles...
MB

Marty said...

Hey there brother,

We're all praying for you man. I'm not a super religious guy but I'm pulling out all the stops!

I will say though, All the OSU crap is a little nauseating but it is your blog I guess.

Would it be wrong if I offered you a trade while you're sleep deprived, Jabar Gaffney for Drew Brees, hoping that you accidently hit the accept tab vs the reject tab? I'm just saying! Your squad looks pretty damn good after week one.

Hang in there. Looking forward to seeing you.

Marty

gsschweppe said...

Hi Steve! It's me, Sheri Bredenfoerder, your old neighbor growing up on Oakvista! I have been reading your blog and wanted to send a shout out from an old Kenwood Hills gal. It has been a LONG time! I know it has to be hard going through this. Jennifer and Jason Weiner are two of my dearest friends, so I have seen it first hand. But Jason is doing great, and they got through it with the help of great doctors, a great family and awesome friends. It sounds like you have all three. Take care of yourself. I hope the best for you and will keep you and your family in my prayers.

By the way, I love your posts about betting on horses. I love to go to the track!

AD said...

Hey shoop! Another show for great laughs and a few "did they really say that?!". Two and a half men...hilarious! PS I bet u look great bald!

Unknown said...

I can't even believe that bald is a concern. Bald is best
exhibit A

Betsy said...

Hey Shoopers- The september yearling sales are going on right now.. you can watch live al day at this link... Apaprently one sold the first night for 4.2 million... Yahoo..
It is something to watch- better than Jerry Springer.
Hang in there.. Betsy http://apps.keeneland.com/livesales/livevideo/frameset.asp

Meg said...

Shoop,

So I have just been informed about everything, of course because my parents love to leave me out of the loop. I am glad to hear such a positive outlook from you! I guess I really only have one question. You still getting to see all the games?! The OU game was not as entertaining as I wanted it to be. I fell asleep part way through the third quarter because there wasnt much action. Hopefully Eastern Michigan will at least put up a fight.

Meg :D