Dear Friends and Family,
So sorry for the long delay. I think until Shoop is feeling better, I will do my best to keep up with his blog. No bells, whistles or sports commentary, just the facts. Shoop is definitely the writer in the family but I'll do my best.
Mid week, after lots and lots of tests, we found out Shoop has GVHD of his Colon. This is what has been causing all of his pain (so they think). At one point he did have an intermittant obstruction in his colon which was related to his pain as well, however, no obstruction was found this time. They said that it cleared itself, which I didn't know could happen. The obstruction was caused from a narrowing in his colon which can also get better on it's own. Basically, all of this crap was caused by the GVHD which now they say never totally went away.
Shoop is finally feeling a little relief. While his pain isn't totally gone, it is under control or at least not like it was. Seeing someone you love in excruciating pain day after day is probably the most difficult thing I have ever had to go through.
In the last couple of months, he has also had a pigtail put into his stomach. This is a small catheter inserted into his belly to drain excess fluid as needed. About a liter a day is drained from his belly which does seem to give him some more relief. This he tells me makes him very tired as well. If one tube wasn't enough, he also had a Naso Gastric tube inserted into his nose, down the back of his throat into his abdomen. This fluid is intermittantly suctioned from his abdomen. This was just recently removed because the fluid coming out in Shoop's abdomen was decreasing plus he was starting to feel better.
So as of today, he is better than he has been in a long time. The Doctor told me he still has a long road ahead of him but he is showing signs of improvement.
Again, and I can't say this enough, I would be an emotional wreck if it wasn't for all of you wonderful people, not to mention mal nutritioned because I wouldn't be providing the best meals for my family. You guys have covered all of the bases for our family and more and continue to do so every day. I know none of us ever thought Shoop would still be in the hospital at this point in time, but we WILL get him home.
I hope this helps a little. I will write again as soon as we know more or if there are any significant changes. Thank you so much and we love you all.
Much Love,
Lynn and Shoop
4 comments:
We love you guys. Keep fighting the fight. Andrea
Lynn, glad to hear of some improvement in the way Steve is feeling. We are thinking about you both every day. Hang in there. He will get home soon!
Just in case you check this..... I love you. I am so sorry. Steve was one of a kind. Handsome, charming, funny, loving, smart ass and full of life. He is now hanging with Jesus trying to convert him to Ohio state. That is the right team right? He put up one heck of a fight and you were there by his side all the way. He is at peace now. NO PAIN. He's eating steak, potatoes, and all his favorite foods. Drinking beers and chilling. He knew how much you love him. We are going to miss him and that sucks. But Steve would want you to keep living. You are beautiful, smart and amazing. That's why he picked you. Keep living and being wonderful. love you
Lynn - Not sure if you remember me - friend of Rhea's in Cincinnati. My husband Joe and I were lucky enough to have met you and Steve one night at Rhea and Charlie's. That night, Joe thought Steve was such a great, fun, high energy, extremely spirited, funny and loving guy that he was trying to talk him into coming back to Cincy to work for him. We left that night, with such an overwhelming feeling of what an incredible, special man, Steve was and how the 2 of you together were a perfect match. It was truly one of the better nights we have had while living here. I have followed this blog for a year, have lit candles, said prayers and privately offered things up to get him well. When Rhea called me last week, I wept. Imagine. Being a guy that only needs to be met, ONE TIME, and leaves such a deep and lasting impression, that virtual strangers would weep. I suspect the memories of all of his family, friends and YOU will keep his wonderful spirit all around you. I am certain stories of Steve will go on forever. We will pray for you, Lynn, during this difficult time.
So much love, Randi and Joe Marino
Post a Comment