Sunday, January 2, 2011

New Year, New Start

Hopefully, the above sentiment can ring true for this damn Cancer thing.

Good news is that it looks like I will be going home on Monday the 3rd.  We've been quietly hoping this is the case and all seem to be on track for leaving tomorrow.  I know its been a week since the Christmas post and while the it may have lacked a lot of adventure (good thing), I've been very up and down in how I feel.  A couple days pretty good, and others not so hot, but the doctors are all pleased with my progress and the blood counts showing stability.

Over the last week, the length of the hospital stay has started to really wear me down.  Sleep is random at best, most nights grabbing a couple hours between 11pm-3am and then falling asleep around 4am until the barrage of visitors (shift change, doctors, and more doctors) in the am.  If I can catch a nap in the afternoon, its a bonus.  All of this made it tougher to take visitors for very long.  Rest assured, I want to see everyone and will in due time.

Just saw the Dr. and he isn't promising Monday, but more like 50/50 for Monday, definitely Tues.

The ironic part of being in the hospital so long is that when you get near the check out date, it throws a small wrench in program.  You get used to the hospital being some type of weird security, which it isn't.  Going home is more welcome than imagined, but now it becomes the waiting and waiting.  The body doesn't recover quickly and the next 90 days are critical for not developing any of the infections that are the major risk.  But, as the doctors have reiterated over the past few days, I am in as good a position as I can be right now.

Getting back to doing some work (in between the 3x a week Dr. visits) will be welcome.  And on top of that, we'll figure out, for the first time in months, how to start living around the house with some sense of normalcy.  There has always been the "next" treatment scheduled and we've all been on that anticipation schedule.  Now its time to anticipate getting better, as if the new year did turn a page for this ordeal.

I may only feel about 60% at best, but it will sure feel a lot better in my own bed, on my own couch, etc... and some of my own food on a non Del Boca Vista schedule.

Will get more out later, even more football to fall asleep to today...

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

Happy New Year Shoop - sounds like great promising news!!!!

Love, Kim

Anonymous said...

Congrats Shoop,
Let us know when we can come visit. Rog wants to see you bald and take stock to where he is heading. Miss you tons and we are sending prayers and thanks you's to the big guy.
Love,
Pen

J.M.Geeslin,M.D. said...

Steve--

I hope you are home in time to help the Buckeyes carry the water for the Big Ten v the SEC. I hope the docs allow a brew or two just in case the Razorbacks make it a clean sweep for the SEC.

Sounds like those blood counts are very encouraging. Could it be that Teutonic blood? Being full of that stuff myself, I hope so.I am still looking forward to the day when I can be the host and the fourth in a Shoop foursome at SMCC.

Be well--wear that mask---touch nothing but Lynn and know the N Fl gang is in your bag.

B&SA

Jo G said...

Happy new year Steve. Heard you got home to your own bed and sofa. Let the quality R & R begin! Saw Andy while in ATL for New Years. We drank a toast to your healing and good health in 2011. Hope you are feeling the cousin vibe!

Elizabeth said...

Good cousin vibe being sent your way from Chicago too!

Anonymous said...

Hey Shoop,

It has been awhile since we have heard anything.. how are things going for you? Are you home yet? How are you feeling? Just thinking of you and Lynn. Michelle Ingram form Canadian Saddlery asked about you... We are all routing for you!

Betsy