Friday, December 17, 2010

Post Trans - Quick Update

Pretty tired after the transplant, but most of that is because of the drugs they gave me for the prep and post transplant.  A pretty large dose of Benedryl and a couple others had me out for a while on Thurs.

The original transplant was scheduled for Wed evening, but we were notified that a flight delay was going to push the procedure back until Thurs AM.  Obviously, it was not a local match.  They don't tell you where or who is the donor, but I heard from another patient today that one of the donors in the past couple days had come from Germany.  If it was mine, who knows, but I'll play the rumor game for now.

While it is probably considered a relatively uneventful procedure (it is just like a transfusion), it had me pretty uncomfortable while it was taking place.  Serious nausea feelings and a headache to go with a very strange hot sensation in my upper torso and tightness in the same area.  It was pretty weird to say the least. 

So, I guess my new blood type (AB positive) has commenced and we now wait out the merging with my system and any side effects for a few weeks.  As I mentioned before, I'm just tired.  To go with that, my bed is not the most comfortable and its making my lower back sore.  Its a good thing I'm so young and in good shape (sarcasm).  I am starting to feel the mouth sores coming on and could do without those, but I am taking all the precautions they are providing (brushing teeth and the salt water rinse).  The mohawk is still intact and probably won't lose the hair for a week or 2, and I'll need to, I didn't count on keeping it.

That's all for now, and praying for a quick recovery to maybe be home around New Years.  Thanks for all the notes and support.

I guess I get another "birthday," as mentioned and confirmed by many.  Lynn, pay attention...

9 comments:

J.M.Geeslin,M.D. said...

Steve--

Another step forward. Keep walking and getting those new boys settling in those hard bones of yours.

My grand daughters Maggie and Frannie, want to join your blog but can't because of the age requirement. They are very supportive of your recovery. They are so sincere I'm sure their prayers count double.

The AB crowd is looking for the day when you and Lynn can spend some warming Spring days re-habing your golf game @ SMCC.

Best luck.

B&SA

Anonymous said...

God bless you and your secret santa Steve -- Stay strong. Your gift of life is truly a miracle.
Love,
Penny & Dave

Brandon said...

What a perfect match, Shoop is now a German! Do you feel a new preference for trance music and mechanical engineering?

Stay strong buddy.-BBO

Anonymous said...

Hey Shooper! Hope you are feeling better today and perhaps getting some decent sleep. Imagine you are now in a "downhill tuck" as you fly towards The New Year and getting back home!

German Donor...gotta like the stubborn nature of such heritage..a perfect match, yes? Tough, loyal, love rules. Hmmm...Steve Von Shoop Da Brink.

Talk to you soon. Cons

AD said...

Uth oh, oscar and german?! :). Stay strong shoop. AD

eyecheck said...

The "rumor" was German. The reality was a tiny French fella named Sven from Newfoundland. Steve will be shortening his name accordingly.

Hang in there man. We're all sending you our best wishes. Home for the New Years??? Stay positive.

E.D.

Jason Weiner said...

Have a great visit with Rhea. I know she was looking forward to spending time with all of you. Hope all is going well and as planned. We continue to send good thoughts and prayers. Stay strong!

Melissa said...

Hay Handsome. Just checking in to see how you are doing. Probably a stupid question huh. Thinking about you all the time. Keep strong and sleep alot. Love you. Melissa

J.M.Geeslin,M.D. said...

Steve and Family---

Fun with the Grands this AM but we can't help thinking what our best gift will be: when you get well and have a "regular" Christmas with your family

B&SA