Wednesday, November 24, 2010

Thanksgiving Eve

Another week of waiting is in the books but plenty of action to come in the next month.  As I indicated in the last post, I am home and getting IV antibiotics daily to stave off the remnants of the infection and pneumonia from the hospital stay.  I didn't feel very well when I got home (I think I used the word "blah") and that continued for a couple days, but eventually that feeling subsided and I have felt pretty good for the past 5-6 days.  But, its always the fatigue that reminds me why I'm where I am at this point.

Lynn has taken over the administering the IV's every day after a crash course from the hospital outpatient nurse.  Of course, I felt compelled to test her with the directions she was given for the IV and she barely passed the test (kidding).  No major issues with getting the IV and its pretty routine now.  I'll be on this medication through next Tuesday and then have a meeting with the infectious disease doctor to confirm everything is gone...  another chapter down.

The nurse who came out to teach Lynn the IV process came back this week to check on my PIC line and change the dressing (this is a once a week process).  She is a very talkative nurse and she caught me too early in the AM on Monday and I was a bit testy, I think.  I was actually telling her how the nurses had changed the dressing in the office or hospital, but she had her own way.  Her "way" ended up pulling the PIC line out of my arm another 3 inches.  Ultimately, this isn't a big deal as long as they are just drawing blood and giving me antibiotics,  but I can't get chemo through it any more.

Speaking of chemo, we had a meeting with my Oncologist today and covered the possible schedule ahead.  A donor has been identified and the transplant team has been waiting to get further information back regarding the process from the donor side.  Apparently, this donor could be from anywhere in the world and at this point, the location isn't given to the recipient.  The donor always has the opportunity to back out of the process, but fortunately, we received word today that they are proceeding with the process and we can start assuming some dates and time lines.  If the donor had not been found, I would be due for another round of chemo very soon as its been almost 3 months since I completed the initial treatment.

Looking ahead to next week, I will begin meeting with the transplant doctor at the Karmanos Cancer Center and effectively be passed on to their care for the transplant and recovery.  My current doctor will stay abreast of the the progress, but as even he confirmed, this is what they do and do it very well.  (On a quick side note, I will miss seeing my current doctor, he has been fantastic with me, my family and most important, he helps us manage the maze of questions and our emotions brilliantly).  Eventually, I'll be back seeing him for aftercare treatment, but that will be well into 2011.  If the donor process continues to progress correctly, I will be headed to the hospital on December 8 for a weeks worth of intensive chemo and scheduled for the transplant starting the 15th. 

So....  after 3 months of trying to get better and waiting and waiting some more, we have a plan.  It hits you straight in the face, but this is what we have been waiting for; direction.

If I haven't been posting enough updates, its only because there haven't been any or I don't think people reading want to hear about my slouching around while waiting.  As we get more details, we will let everyone know, but for now, I think we (and everyone) should enjoy a great and traditional Thanksgiving.  From our side, we'll be celebrating turkey day on Friday when all of the kids will be able to come over and share it with AC, Judy, Lynn and I.  Jimmy just returned from college and all it does is bring back great memories of when I did the same some 20+ years ago....  a quick hello and out the door for catch up with friends.  Oh to be 18 again...  There will be plenty of football, food and family and that's the way it should be, even if its the Lions.  Don't forget about THE game on Saturday where the Bucks look to make it 7 straight over UM.  And for the southern Busse clan....  may UGA take care of business just once this year, I'll be pulling for them and may make a small wager on their behalf.

Last, I hope everyone has an awesome weekend and know that I am thankful for all of the support you have heaped upon us since this damn thing started...  it is invaluable and reminds us all how important our family and friends are.  If I can figure out how to attach the bone marrow process and how this thing will be working, I will attach it to a post this weekend.... 

Happy Thanksgiving to everyone!

8 comments:

Anonymous said...

Let's go babe and pardon the expression, "kick some ass." I love you always,

Lynn

Melissa said...

You better be nice to Lynn or she may find mean and painful ways to tortue you..... I am sure you are enjoying the sponge baths......... Love your updates. Melissa

Jason Weiner said...

Happy Thanksgiving, Steve! At times like this, saying thanks can be a bit tough. My last Thanksgiving was spent watching other people eat because my throat was so raw from radiation. However, the mere fact that you have great family and friends is enough to make you appreciate how lucky you are. I'm glad to hear that the plan is in place because the waiting around BS drives one nuts. I remember getting my plan and then just putting my head down and trying to plow through. I think I've written this to you before, but focus on the task at hand and try not to worry about the peripherals. You have our support and good wishes from Cincinnati, home of those fantastic Cincinnati Bengals. Wow, do they suck! Even though I am a Browns fan (which is almost as bad), I actually felt sorry for them last night. Take care of yourself!

Jason

Shoop said...

Jason, I'm glad I don't have the mouth sores (yet) again. But you're right, at least we have a plan in place. I'm sure it will get more nerve racking soon, but for now, we'll enjoy the cold weather and bad football. Thanks for the staying in touch, I've gotten all the emails from you and Jen via Charlie.

Steve

Anonymous said...

Hang in there Shoopers! We are all pulling for you! Glad to hear you ahd a nice Turkey day and were able to enjoy the food and football...
Betsy

eyecheck said...

We're all thinking of you Steve. Good to see that you posted. Trust me, we like to hear from you. Even if it's just a "hello".

Big hill ahead, brother. Nothing that you won't be able to climb though. We're all behind you in case you need a push.

Best thoughts, hopes and prayers.

Anonymous said...

Shoopers...... We need an update... What is going on?

Teri said...

Hi, Steve. I've been following your progress regularly and finally figured out how to leave you a note. We're thinking of you daily and wishing you a complete recovery. We need to get you back on the golf course. I'll even commit to stop whining about how much I hate to golf if we get you back out to Gull Lake! Take Care. Our thoughts and prayers are with you.

The Martinez Family