- You have very hard bones
- You're arms are longer than normal for someone 5'10" (Begging the comment from a friend that I must be using golf clubs too long all these years)
- Yes, you do have strange blood
So there is the theme of the week, still waiting for the white blood cells to reach the level they want. Meaning, no treatment this week, only appointments. We'll be waiting for the blood counts next week to make the next decisions and hoping that the marrow transplant is not the one needed. That's the long and the short of it at this time.
The #1 question I get is "how are you feeling," and even to my surprise, the answer has been "really well." How one is supposed to know what to feel like was the unknown when this whole thing started. I also realize that feeling good is relative to the last 6-8 monthsm because I can't recall what really feeling good is, i.e. not being tired. For me, I felt like there was going to be this big preparation for treatment, but effectively, they just hook up the IV and away you go. This is in no way meant to minimize the seriousness, because it is serious and I know individuals all react differently. I don't think I'm getting a false sense of security, in fact, the lack of progress with my blood counts has me as frustrated as anything in the process. And anyone who has had the pleasure of being around me when I am frustrated knows how much fun I am (right Lynn?).
At some point I may be able to give more insight into the mindset, but right now, I'll take the feeling good part and run with it this week. At least I get to watch the World Series in comfort...
3 comments:
Patience my dear man, patience. Yes, Matt said the same thing to me just today. "Penny I am going to teach you patience", I laughed, my parents, my husband, and my children can tell you, they have all tried and failed at that task. You come from that mold too. Hey, take that feeling good to heart, enjoy the sun, who knows how long you will see it in Michigan. Talk to you soon. Pen
Steve---
I wish I could give you a dose of 'hurry up" but having dealt with medicine for so long I know that nostrum is the one thing not in the Obama health plan. I do see some good news in the slow marrow recovery, that being the therapy is on target. I hope your doctor would agree with that. Let me know what he says.
Ga-Fla here this week end and the usual insanity reigns though the game is marginally important. Sensible people in gator head hats being barked at by my former neighbors from the back of a pick up truck. Gotta love it.
Re World Series--one of your mother's nurse friends from the SF days has a son playing LF for Texas, name of David Murphy. Mom is Sharon Fedorinchek.
Jo is running in the Marine marathon in DC tomorrow. If there is a ribbon for AML she'll be wearing it for you.
Keep plugging and we will keep sending them up.
Hi Steve - just dropping in to catch up on your latest. Speaking of strange blood, we experienced a twilight zone moment this weekend that made me think of your blog.
Saturday evening, after the dawgs lost to Florida, a game that they should have won, we took the kids (my Katie, her friend and my fiance Ivan's two children) to this entertainment center called Adventure Landing where they were featuring two elaborate haunted houses.
On the drive over there, the chidren started out talking about the normal things....school, friends, whether or not to go trick-or-treating the next night. Then, oddly enough one of the kids suddenly changed the topic to donating blood. The kids began talking about what it would feel like to donate blood, they asked how old they had to be to donate blood, and they asked Ivan and I if we had ever donated blood etc.
We found this to be sort of an odd topic of discussion for children, but whatever...interesting that they curious.
So we arrive at our destination, park the car and everybody gets out very excited to experience the haunted house. As we walk through the wooded parking lot and approach the front entrance of the park, what do we see but the giant Red Cross bus. They were doing a blood drive at 8:30 at night right in front of the haunted house!
The kids had no idea there was going to be a blood drive there and neither did we. The fact they were talking about donating blood for most of the way over, was simply a strange coincidence!
Anyway, stay strong. We're keeping you in our prayers as always :)
Post a Comment