This is more of an pre-update to what we anticipate will be an action packed week ahead. And, if you wondered what Lynn goes through on weekends with a sports fan in the house, you'll probably get a good sense of that as well.
Right now, its 9:30 am and I have some British friends to thank for my interest in the Premier League games that get rolling on the weekends. It's Europe's answer to all of the talking heads telling us why the college football national championship is the only thing that matters (obviously, I am against a playoff or that thing they do now with 6 bowl games after January 1).
But I digress...
Speaking of digressing, we seem to have one of those motivation problems with my white blood cells. They are not multiplying which meant that I had to have a day worth of transfusions, two pints, and NOT Guinness.
While that does nothing for the white cells, it returns my hemo to a level where I can stay home and recover. The Doctors don't know why the WBC's aren't regenerating and that appears to be the focus for the short term. As is the case, I had another bone marrow biopsy as well on Thursday which should shed some light on the situation with the white cell count and whether the blasts have made any progress (hopefully not) against the healthy cells. Those results won't be available until Monday when we have follow up appointment.
Until we know what the blast count is in the WBC's, the timing of my next treatment is in question. It will be chemo, either the same level as I went through initially or a slightly modified version if the blast count is considered low enough to proceed.
We are reminded what the Doctor said back in August about the treatment being very intense followed by periods of boredom, and he stressed boredom. Of course, I thought there is no way to get bored if you get to watch what you want when you want and we were entering a busy part of the sports season with baseball playoffs, college and pro football, as well as the aforementioned soccer on Saturday and Sunday mornings. Cable can be a wonderful thing at all times of the day.... but there really isn't that much on unless you are into hoarding, New Jersey, little people documentaries, near death experiences and spoiled housewives.
I had never been a "follower" of the soccer outside of the World Cup (typical American!) until I got to know a few of the boys at Gus O'Connors (a respectable pub located too close to home). If you think our fans get worked up for football games, you have to watch a game with 2 or 3 soccer fans who know their sh*t. Each one is equivalent to about 10 US football fans. As an obsessed sports fan, I can absolutely appreciate their passion for the sport. They don't lack opinions on players, teams, countries or referee's, yet they put up with my infant knowledge and half ass viewpoints. As a comparison to our passion in the US, just once in your life, find an English or Irish pub when a big international/club game is taking place, and take a seat for a couple hours. Granted, you will have to make it before noon for many, but the beer is still cold. Given our propensity for 3 1/2 to 4 hour football and baseball games, there is a beauty in having a game last 2 hours and no commercials.
On the US front, I'm over the Reds loss in the playoffs and have focused on praying the Yankees's go away. While not a big fan of the Phillies, watching teams hand games to the Yankee's and the media gush over them makes you want to puke.
Today, its just waiting on the Buckeyes and Wisconsin tonight. I may be an Ohio homer, but without some crazy special teams breakdowns, I think the Bucks take care of the Badgers pretty easily on the road. Quick prediction: 28-16.
Yes, there is more than just sports, and I'm sure we all watched the Chilean rescue this week, truly amazing. But in our jaded society, this too shall pass and we will read how many of them squandered their fame and new found (as the reports suggest) wealth. I couldn't help but think, 'this is really cool, but what is going on in Haiti?' We sure let that news fade away once the Saints won the Super Bowl.... but I digress (again).
I guess this is a segue way to my final thoughts this morning. I can't stress it enough, the support from everyone reading and emailing has been overwhelming. As our nature seems and as as busy as we all are managing our lives in these times, please consider taking a couple hours soon and give blood. Facing adversity heightens our awareness, and mine is no exception. But, as I go through this process, getting transfusions, etc... my appreciation for those whose blood I am receiving has made me a tremendous advocate. It's easy, fairly painless and they give you some juice and a cookie at the end. And you will be helping sustain or save someones life.
13 comments:
Great post, Steve! Though I doubt I can ever join the European (or rest of world) football craze, your take on the length of American televised sports is spot on. Likewise, too, the Yankees and their fans. But then I do love the Buckeyes......and oh, how many hate 'em. So to each his own.
Donate blood? If qualified, everyone should and as often as possible. I'm being rejected some now because of med requirements for the aged, but I've put a couple of hundred pints over many years in the bank. I'll still keep trying, though, from time to time.
Stay strong and much love ........ from your Dad
Shoop,
I promise to give blood as soon as I can. We visited a "non qualified" island over Miranda's spring break and they keep rejecting me, one more month. Hey, your Buckeys Lost. Rog said both our teams got their a**'s handed to them. MSU survivies. You may need to switch to your sons school for this season. BTW, keep your chin up. Your white blood cells are just as stubborn as you. Soon they will take right off. Penny
Hey Steve,
Patience is a virtue!! Hang in there and kudos on the blood! It is critical, and we too agree, everyone should do it. Another thing people should do is get their bone marrow typed. It's so easy and it comes straight to your home and you send it back, FREE! You just go to the National Bone Marrow Registry and register for a kit. Easy as pie and you can save a life.
On another note...love the posts and your attitude is awesome. That's half the battle. Stay strong and know many of us in Cincinnati are thinking of you!
Take care..
Jennifer and Jason
Shoopers,
Reading up on all the things you are going through day by day really puts the average persons' problems and issues in perspective. You are one tough dude... hang in there Shoop. You inspire me to be strong and look at the big picture.
Thank you for the reality check. Sending you my prayers, good vibes and hope!
Betsy
t
Looks like you called or jinxed the Buckeyes (not so) special teams play. That was the difference.
Hope you have a good week with the blood levels. You deserve some good news.
Love the relegation in soccer as well as the commercial free interruption. But that's as far as I go with soccer. (aside from a beer at noon every once in a while).
Will get out and give blood and register for the marrow list. Good to spread the word.
Stay strong. We love you.
Dear Steve,
I tried to give blood...it didn't work out. Apparently if you pass out, they can't just keep taking it (though they should, cuz now that 1/2 unit is a complete waste of time, energy,someone's money and...well...my blood.
But anyway, Steve, can we talk about something other than sports? Aren't you interested in ANYTHING other than sports? I know you must be...what are those things?
Beth, just trying to keep the political stuff to a min. Probably not the place to be debating the education system, horrendous political leadership, etc...
But I'll throw more current events in...
Steve
I would love to know your thoughts on those subjects.
the politics of halloween!!
SO let me get this straight.. The ONLY things in life to talk about are... SPORTS and POLITICS... What have I been talking about the last.. oh, 36 years.. since it has not been sports OR politics!... I agree with Beth.. Need something other than sports...
Hang in there Shoopers!
SHooper,
I am giving blood next week. No reason why I should not....given you and KMOMPS and everyone else who could use even my blood. Stay strong.
MUR
it doesn't matter to me what you talk about, steve; as a former English teacher, i love the way you write!! reminds me a little of mitch albom's style and voice. having said that ... i do cruise through the sports stuff as i'm not a huge sports fan. sinful, i know. but i read aloud some parts to alan and we both smirk and smile. if you kicked out this kind of writing in HS or college, your teachers must have loved your work.
you are inspiring ... and like the others, i wish you strength and i hope your WBC starts doing what it's supposed to do soon.
sorry about the Bengals (i don't know why, but you didn't want to mention ... must be bad) :D
keep writing!
toni :)
Steve--
Reading your saga demonstrates an understanding of the human hemopoietic system that would make a 4th year med student jealous.Maybe even some of the 1st year Heme-Onc residents I have known.
Your notable support for the "vampires" obviously made all your friends aware of the importance of giving blood which is truly a service to humanity.With all you have to contend with you deserve a big pat on the back for that.
I always enjoy your sports take in this peculiar but interesting year so keep it up in spite of what others may think. Politics too, since we all better be getting involved.Who is this Beth character anyway?
The FL posse is always standing by with prayers and best wishes.
Post a Comment