Friday, September 24, 2010

It's the Weekend!

Update 9-26-10 (Sunday)  If yo haven't read below, there were some decent status updates, but the most pertinent is that as of today, I am back in the hospital and can't seem to avoid getting fevers that require attention.  I am not expecting to leave today, but I'm out of the prediction business....

I've never been one to be very superstitious, unless it involves some type of roulette or where you sit when big plays need to happen, but I purposefully stayed away from posting anything while I was a home this week for fear of having the Doctor (or something) indicated that I need to go back in the hospital.

It almost happened Thursday when I went for my 4th bone marrow biopsy.  That procedure is relatively easy at this point and takes no more than 30 minutes, but you have to wait an hour after before you can go home.  As is the case every day, they check my blood levels.  Those results can back and the hemoglobin and platelets had dipped below the comfort level and if I were going to make it through the weekend, I needed more transfusions.

I'm all for transfusions as I know they are the "speed" of the process, almost instant energy, but they do take a while to get started and completed.  Getting the platelets has been the adventure lately, with my reaction last Sunday.  So now they have to pre-medicate me for any platelet transfusion.  That involves getting some liquid Benadryl and a little morphine through my IV port (and a couple other things).  Wow!, it is instant relaxation and comatose feeling all in one.  You can drool, don't care, you mumble, don't care.  And it got me some needed sleep as well.  I ended up getting the platelets first and the 2 units of blood, and the whole process took an extra 12 hours, so when I got home, I felt good and couldn't sleep.

The best news of the day is that Lynn and I were finally reunited and she was given the OK to come home.  So we spent it back in the hospital until 11 pm :(   But, we made it home and the house is back to normal., the dog is still blind, mom and dad are giving us big help, and Hannah keeps everyone in great spirits.  Looking forward to a nice weekend and catching up with everyone here and not looking a hospital walls.

The bone marrow tests from Thurs will be critical to the next steps.  We should know results and get a lot of direction next (selfishly hoping I will be at home next weekend as well), but we'll follow the protocol as given by the doctor, but put a good one in upstairs for me to be home next weekend.

I never knew what to think about losing my hair, and not from the angle of being vain.  First, it was more of a macho thing, as in "it won't happen to me."  I didn't really believe it, but I hoped.  A week ago I was able to start pulling a bunch out just by running my fingers through my hair, it was a strange feeling, and it was the first day that the Leukemia became more that just this disease that was out there in my body and blood.  That has to sound strange, but somehow I tied hair loss to the reality.  (It’s not like I hadn't already had a bunch of side effects to make me completely uncomfortable!).  Over the next few days it continued to thin and once Lynn got home, it was a bunch of thin wisp, not hair.  So we took it off!

I had to brighten the picture with Hannah....


Bottom line is I'm ok with it, and actually like a little.

So, everyone have a great weekend, be safe, Go Reds, Bengals, Bucks...  Eat Pork, and I'll catch you on the flipside.

Keep the comments coming and huge thanks to the meal providers...

18 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hey Shoop,

Its Jimmy. Last weekend I prepared skyline chili for all my new friends to give them a little taste of Cincy. You looked pretty good with the bald hair. Maybe you should keep it that way. I mean bald or grey? Almost the same thing. Stay strong Shoop. Love you.

CincyChuck said...

Looking good! Welcome aboard.

It was great to see you, albeit for only a day. Glad Lynn got home and you guys are together. You are a rock and so inspirational. Keep the fight. You’re due for some good news and a good week. Hope this to be the one.

Lotta love from Tampa.

Anonymous said...

Shooper,

No place like home is there...its the little things that seem so sweet huh.....hope all tests results continue to show improvement!!! As far as the new look...I must admit, and this coming from a "closet vain guy" with a fairly low self esteem due to my better half(name shall remain unsaid)....that you do look quite striking with no hair...it works! (Please don't read anything into the "striking" adjective).

Also, thought I would share a little story with you. A mutual friend of ours (was a classmate at St.X who was our class President) visited me this week. Needless to say...we had some good meals. One of those being SAVOY PIZZA...a St. Paul legend. It was sooooo good...u have had it with me up here in Minny.

Well at approximately 9 PM this past Tuesday I carefully and safely wrapped 10 pieces of leftover sausage and pepperoni slices in anticipation of a special "treat" at a later date and placed in fridge. So jump ahead to this morning...10:30 AM Saturday. I am hungry and full of anticipation as I open the fridge and see my carefully packaged leftover. I grab the package. Immediately I sense something is wrong. The package seems lighter than when I placed it into the fridge on Tuesday. To my horror, upon opening the diligently packaged treat, my fears are confirmed...10 slices have been reduced to 5 slices...with all the "best slices"(the ones with the most sausage and pepperoni)gone! Depressed, I immediately interrogate my family to determine whom may have done such a deed...as my family, aside from me....historically never eats leftovers (for that matter they don't eat anything even if the "date stamp" indicating when something is close to being suspect is approaching, let alone past the "safe date"). Each family member, one by one, firmly denies eating the missing slices of pizza. I look to my dog, Storm, and briefly wonder and then equally as fast dismiss the notion that perhaps he has performed some miracle and penetrated the fridge and my package.

So after pondering the reality of the situation for a moment, the dim light-bulb goes off. OUR FRIEND!!!! So some time between 11 PM on Tuesday night and 6 AM Wednesday morning, our friend deliberately and with great precision, focus, and intent, navigated throughout my sleeping house towards the fridge in quest of his victim....the pizza. And find it he did! I have asked for him to confirm this...no word yet....but it is with near 100% certainty that he will claim no knowledge of such deed...but you and I know....he is capable of such and his impressive eating history and his current physique would lead even the most critical doubter to the conclusion of GUILTY. Unbelievable. Talk to you soon, Cons

tsesti said...

Shoop,

I totally would have thought you being bald would result in the Charlie Brown look you predicted, but I stand corrected. It looks a lot more like an egg I think.

Rooting for a big win for your Bucks today while Janene and I watch the game today. What do you think, 55-0 by half?

Be well and welcome home.

Sesti

Melissa said...

You look hot. Cant wait to run your head. luv ya. John said hello...

Anonymous said...

Shoop I think you look studly as always. Glad to see your smiley face, and I really love your bald head! Happy you and Lynn are together again, we missed you guys so much at bowling.I hope you are back in action soon, not the same without you there!!!!!

CincyChuck said...

There is a pizza chain called: Hungry Howies. Hmmmmm.

jazz said...

Shoop - Jazz here - you look better than Ron if that makes you feel any better. This NC household has become Reds fans on your behalf - not sure I will convince the boys to root for the Bucks with the UM QB doing unreal things every week. Love the posts but would prefer to see more a Oscar-like approach at times so I can be sure you don't have a ghostwriter. Thinking about you and your family.

Jo G said...

I think Peaches 'n Herb sang it best, 'reunited and it feels so good...!'. Keep after those bad guys!

Love Jo

AD said...

Hey Shoop,

I love the new look! Sorry you had to return to the germ infested place...but hey! At least they are keeping an eye on you. Keep fighting. Talk to you soon sunshine.

Betsy said...

Hey Shoopers!

I like the new look.... Just think of the time you can save getting ready in the morning without having to curl and tease your silvery locks of hair!

Sending positive vibes to you every day!

Hang in there Shoopers!

Unknown said...

I like the Mr. Clean look better than the all gray look. Might consider keeping it?

eyecheck said...

Great picture Shoop. Hannah could brighten even your bad moods.

Smitty give you credit points for sporting the Gus's shirt....

All our best and a chest bump.

E.D.

Anonymous said...

Hey Steve,
You and Charlie look so much alike. I am truly fond of the bald look. I hope you get to go home today. Much love, Rhe

Unknown said...

Shoop,

Glad to see you can pull of the new ‘do, a la Mark Messier, as opposed to Uncle Fester or Don Zimmer who would send a girl like Hannah running for the hills.

I’m headed down to Great American this evening in hopes of witnessing the clinching of the 2010 NL Central Championship after pee wee practice for the 5th grade team I coach is over. I’ll miss the first couple of innings but I’ll be there by 8. I’m taking my camera to hopefully catch an on the field celebration and then some ruckus on Fountain Square. I’ll email you what I have. I’ll definitely be wearing my Randy Myers custom t-shirt jersey, sitting with my two buddies that have Dibbs and Stormin’ Norm.

I got out of the gym yesterday and had notification from the Reds that I won the opportunity for NLCS tickets. I’m not one to get ahead of myself when it comes to playoffs, but I did have to order them up this morning. The only option with this was getting them for the entire series. My Game 1 & Game 2 seats were $50/seat and Games 3 & 4 were $60/ticket and a section below. I found this to be very lucky, as I will be at the NLDS game(s) too. We both know which Misali brother was trademarked as “The Weasel” and I certainly feel like I “weaseled” the seats. I was certainly shocked but very excited.

Not much else new to report from Cin City. Somehow Bratkowski still has a job and the frustrating fact is that they’ll beat Cleveland and be 3-1 and he’ll still have a job.

I hope you’re feeling better and know that you, Lynn & the rest of the crew are all constantly on my mind. Keeping fighting the good fight and doing those shower stretches. It has to be like sitting in the therapy tub, right?

Go Reds, Bengals, Bucks…Eat Pork.

Cheers & Go Reds,
Paulie

Kevin Murray said...

SHooper,

I forgot how funny you can be. Your commentary on the $25,000 Pyramid was hilarious. If you ever want a career change, go into writing for a late night show.

You sound good and I hope you continue to feel better. I am sure it was driving you nuts not being able to talk. Keep the faith and my family is thinking of you. DOn't worry, this disease will eventually get tired of your stubborn ways and simply leave.

Keep us posted and stay strong!

MUR

PS. Clearly, you left Caddyshack off of your favorite movie list unintentionally. You are pardoned.

PPS. Jim from Appalachia sends his best.

Anonymous said...

Shooper,

Drooling and mumbling hmm... you must be feeling better. Hope you continue to get well. A golf purist such as yourself should know that a bald head(not a bad look), and beating Leukemia gets you an orange flag on your cart...Wondering if the good DR.s/ Dentists of the fine state of Mich. have the power to presribe medicinal marijuana(having never even seen that word ,let alone come in contact with ,I hope I spelled correctly). I'm told it's supposed to help in the pain department, and no known side effects.I'm told it's supposed to help in the pain department and no known side effects.I'm told its....Must be too much Claritin due to a nasty cold.
Keep up the fight...
Doudy
PS. Cons maybe you should put those slices a bit higher in your fridge...outta sight outta mind.

Gibby said...

Dont know what happened but my post just got erased...

Love the dome man. You do look just like Charlie (but just a little older!!)

Good job on the Concord Cup pairings. We will try to represent well.

Our family keeps sending the good thoughts and prayers...

Stay grouchy pony boy